RCU Forums - View Single Post - Excessive smoking on Saito 100
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
monkeygutz69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive smoking on Saito 100

Guys, I have a Hangar 9 Twist .60 with an FA 100 Saito. The engine is mounted upright with the muffler and exhaust extention facing up and out because if the exhaust in lowered , it wets the aileron servos. The engine was used but starts easily, runs great, has great transition and will go up 400 ft and idle pleasently whilel I try to tear the wings off with Kamikaze spins then land without so much as a hiccup. Now the problem....as soon as I start it up it smokes like a freight train.. literally.. As I am walking it to the runway, it actually puffs giant clouds of smoke... It seems to be really noticable because the pipe is facing up.Wish I had video of it.. I have a long vent tube, 9 in., so the oil would go out by the Landing Gear. The other thing is that this Saito is not tuned like My others.. I have an 82, 2-100's and a 125. The HS needle is 3/4 from closed and won't run any where else, and the LS needle is 3-1/2 turns from closed, transitions fast and idles at 2000 rpm all day long.
I was thinking maybe the crankcase vent tube was to long. or maybe a broken ring??? Any help please.. Thanks, TJ