RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flyzone Sky Fly
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
zippppy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flyzone Sky Fly

Greetings all, Well I got a steal on a used Sky Fly at a yard sale.. $5 plus a couple helicopters.
It was missing the cockpit window and had a taped tail section and no rubber bands.
I use a piece of elastic (the type that are attached to gift tags) and tied knots to get what the rudder and elevator to move proper.
and a couple of rubber bands from veggies at the store.
The front wheel was alittle bent. and the balance was off. So I found a lead wt. and attached it in the nose. it seemed balanced eventually.
Prior to the wt. My first flights were short. took off in a parking lot. landed in an iris bed.. no breaks. then I miss judged the distance and ended up landing up a hill in some lupin.. no problem. took it in the track field and got it airborn and that is where you could see the nose was not heavy enougth just as it almost landed , it headed up.. full power allowed a recover and it tumbled to a stop in the grass... no break.
Went camping in a large field.. a bit of a breezy day. had to toss it to get it airborn.. did pretty good for a first timer. added a little piece of cardboard to the rudder with duct tape. just a small piece.. it did pretty good. but I got it further away from me than I liked and ended up over the highway.. but was able to bring it back ok. even missed the power lines. I got a few flights in with some closee calls with power lines and terees. then I had a calm day. well. only got a couple flights in . the last was plagued with problems, on takeoff.. hand launched, it headed for a tree. I was amazed how it had enough power to climb about straight up and recover.. was going ok then I thought I might have lost some control as it was not responding, but it did and flew around pretty good. until I turned into the sun as it was heading for the power lines.. I lost sight of it (sun) and when I gained it I was pleased it had missed the line but quickily I noticed that tree. it was pulling up until it decided to park.... in the tree one of the two in the huge field hehe. wll the wheel had lost the yellow plastic piece that holds in on.. it had bent eh screw piece. and the wheel mount a little. so I bent the screw.. I think it just broke off at the plastic.. so will epoxy it. then I found the wheel in the grass (not the piece that holds it on) then I cut off a piece of plastic out of a bottle top and drilled a hole in it and pusshed it so it would hold the wheel on. I traded the screw for the rear wheels for the front one then put duct tape over both screws. But I haven't flown it yet. I took it for a ground test over rockes etc.. the wheel is holding fine.
Best 5 buck I spent. and it will fly again. any suggestions on fixes for increasing control?