RCU Forums - View Single Post - help first time build
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help first time build

Great choice in a 1st build.

A Saito 82 is equivalent to a .55 sized 2-stroke. Your 4Star60, well, is a .60 sized plane (2-stroke). I really like the Saito 82 on my Hanger 9 Showtime 50 - but it is lighter than the 4Star60.

Couple of things ...

Leave off the outer most rib (shortening the wing). It will be more responsive - roll rate will improve. And the wing won't be so long - makes transportation a bit easier.

Check the wood supplied by SIG for the tail. Recent kits (Somethin Extra and LT40) have had heavy, hard wood. If you have a local hobby store that stocks balsa, compare yours with their wood. If you're lucky the LHS staff can help you pick-n-choose appropriate wood. Maybe ya won't have to add that much weight to the nose. Rule of thumb: 1/4 oz of weight at the tail needs 1 oz. of weight at the firewall to move the CG 1/8". GaryHarris added nearly 16 oz. to the nose - that offsets 4 oz of weight at the tail. Just be aware.

I use my 4Star60 as an engine mule. I picked a Hayes AL60 engine mount - all 4 holes fixed so that you can pop any engine you want that fits the AL60, adjust the throttle control and you have a new-n-different 4Star. The AL60 will handle an OS61FX, OS91FX, Saito 91, Saito 100 and YS 1.10. I also lopped off the cowl checks so that nothing gets in the way when I fuel and tune the engine.