RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Corsair tail wheel build
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 AM
nzphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

Hi Guys,
Now with a working canopy frame, thanks Sean I spent a little while thinking how to hide switches/air connections to keep the Corsair more scale like.
Somewhere in a forum somebody showed how they fitted the main switch to an aerial stub. As I wanted to have an aerial but removable to save damage in taking it in & out of the car I decided I could achieve both wirth a bit of thought.
First I made a layup over the outside of the fuse roughly where the aerial would be.
I then cut a bit of previously made flat to fit to house the switch & drilled & tapped the switch arm 2mm
That was the easy bit.
I then got two brass tubes, that fitted inside each other, & cut off about 3 inches. Putting them together but with about 1/2" of the inner one proud of the other I 'shaped' them using a vice to roughly like the steamline tube section.
A little adjustment with fine wet & dry on the inner gave a good fit that didn't need much force for it to slide out of the outer. I cut a 1mm wide band off the outer to use as the stop when the aerial was in far enough.
Once the length was worked out Iput both tubes together & with a piece of flat Ali on the narrowist part of the tube made an indent with a blunted nail about 1/8th from where the aerial tube stopped. This transferred to the inner & although you can still pull them apart there is a nice 'click' when the stop point is reached.
The aerial was made from hard balsa & fitted on the aerial tube before the bottom of the aerial balsa is pocketed to house the switch activating rod.
I think the following pictures might explain it better[sm=72_72.gif]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79370.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1660502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85867.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1660503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97473.jpg
Views:	122