RCU Forums - View Single Post - Startup Questions, Gas CAT
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 08:43 AM
glastronjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Startup Questions, Gas CAT

This is one heck of a forum.

Thanks Ron. That's a lot of money for this little boat. Definitely worth keeping it alive. I ordered 2 of the NGK plugs from Autozone. They should be here this afternoon. I'll pull the carb off and clean it and find the tape before I put it in the water.

Thanks Dan. I suspected that full closed on the throttle would most likely be the way to kill the engine. I figured the killerbeez part wasn't around when this boat was last used. But it looks like it would be a valuable addition for safety. It had spark, but it seemed weak and wasn't an audible snap. I have an old 2-stroke Lawn Boy mower that recently had starting and power problems. It had a weak spark. A new magnito made it run like new. I'm wondering if these Zenoha mags are prone to water damage? Especially if it was left upside down in the water, hot for any length of time. But I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

I'll clean the carb and adjust the linkage to slightly open and put a new plug in it. If that doesn't do it, I'm thinking I may need to pull the motor out and try starting it on the bench so that I don't damage the stringers/hull. Maybe figure out a way to spin it with my big drill.

The servo mounting brackets and radio box seem to have a lot of room for improvement.The brackets are held in the box with screws running up through the bottom of the box. half of the screws are striped and need nuts on the other side. But there isn't much room to get to them. Do you guys know of any good on-line examples of a better setup for mounting the servos? It would be nice to seal the holes in the bottom of the box and have a way to snap the servos/brackets in and out to adjust the linkage.

Thanks again for the tips. It is much appreciated. Hopefully I can post a video of this boat running soon.