RCU Forums - View Single Post - TFGE F4U Corsair 60 Kit Build
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TFGE F4U Corsair 60 Kit Build

O.K. Gents after getting this bird done last November and working out a few kinks; I flew my Corsair last Saturday. She flew like she was on rails, that OS 1.2 with a MAS 3 bladed 14.6 prop was making her scream. Chad if you are still reading this thread your tail feathers were awesome, had great control with no bad reactions in the rudder or elevator. A friend of mine did shoot some video of my corsair I'm waiting on him to post it onto youtube so I can post the link. I did run into some bad luck at the end of the flight, when I selected my gear switch down my engine quit on me, of no a dead stick, well I brought the bird around to a short final but over shot the turn; I was over the left side field looking at my bird from the right. and tried to goose her onto the field but she lost too much airspeed & altitude and went into the short grass landed on its gear and flipped 180.

I'm also happy to report my retracts system work flawlessly to include my gear doors, not a single door got ripped off, two thumbs up. From now on I'm going to lower my gear atleast one full cuircut before attempting to land. With my gear being sequenced, it takes a good 10 seconds from selecting gear down to the gear actually going down and locking down.

Damage report

1. Verticle stab snapped off at the base with no other damage, verticle stab is now repaired, just need to apply new fiberglass and repaint.
2. Right elevator was tweeked, the left and right were off set from each other, so I cut into the right elevator re-tweeked the rod and packed the elevator and rod with 30 min epoxy and let dry. Need to sand and touch up paint
3. Landing gear, right main twisted 90 degree's, have sent e-mail to Darrell at Sierra giant scale to find out the cost for a set of front plates with grooves for my retracts.