RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop powered iceboat
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 02:24 AM
CDC120602
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop powered iceboat

I'm a newb and if this is in the wrong section, please let me know or (if you're a mod reading this) feel free to move it to the proper section.

This will be my first venture into building any RC vehicle. I've had numerous cheapo Wal-Mart RCs and a nitro Thunder Tiger Challenger Pro nitro buggy. I know a little about this stuff, but I know better than to think I know it all and would like to benefit from the experience of the internet masses by asking questions here.

I live right next to Lake Erie and it's getting close to winter. I got to thinking that I'd like to build a prop powered iceboat. I plan on using a nitro plane engine and 1/8" roundstainless steelstock for the frame. Since I'm making the frame to suit my needs, I can set this up any way I need to.

I would like to use the spoiler or wing (not sure of the proper terminology) from a buggy for the front and rear instead of springs/shocks to keep the runners in contact with the ice. Am I going overboard here? I don't want to put so much downforce on the boat that higher sppeds are unattainable, but I want to maintain positive control at all times.

I plan on using as little stock as possible, but I know stainless has some weight to it. I'd like to make this about3' long and2' wide. Am I going to be able to use a smaller sized (and priced) plane engine on this or should I upgrade everything and start looking into weedeater engines? The plan is to do this as cheaply as possible.

I understand that there will be a lot of stress on the front runner during turns. Should I look into a 1/4 scale servo for steering?

I'm wide open for any suggestions you might be able to give. Thank you all for your time in advance!