RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bates 106" B-26 Marauder build
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Bates 106

Darren,
35 lbs would be nice as the G-38's fit inside the cowls (plus they have rear exhaust).
I'm thinking that I don't need as much power as on the P-61 as this is a bomber so no aerobatics will be performed.

=====
Brian,
I read the build thread and saw your flight video.
Very impressive.
I'll have to see if I can make a mechanism that will operate an articulating bomb bay door.
Adding a bomb bay door, it will seem that I will have to re-enforce the fuse area as the wing saddle is directly over the bomb bay door, so the sides are the only structurally sound area.

=============
Mike,
I agree with you on the G-62's: there would be a lot of 'chopping' of the cowl.
I'm partial to Zenoah and DA and, presently, I'm leaning towards the G-38's, although the DA-50 is not that much larger and would give me plenty of extra power.
You're right about making the outer wings longer.
Looking at the plans, it's not as easy as it sounds.
Adding just to the ends of the wing, the outer wings TE would then be out of alignment with the center wing. Moving each rib out a 1/4" (or so) will give me a nice uniform wing.
Those narrow tip wings always concerns me: a plane can snap roll much easier than with the wing on my P-61.: The extra power from the DA-50's would help insure that I can maintain a good flight speed.
Moving each rib out also will make the wing a little wider, as well as longer.

==========
Plans:

The plans call for SIG SH-724 aluminum wing joiners.
I checked out their web site and they still make them:
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._02SIGSH724_01