RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting kids involved in model aviation
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM
AERORICH73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Getting kids involved in model aviation

Yes Red, those early days were great. Born in 1934, as I grew up, the milkman dropped off a piece of balsa wood which had an inked outline of an model. I tried to use a blunt steak knife to cutout the parts with very little luck. My grandfather, broke an early designed razor blade in half, and I was amazed at the smooth cut the blade made in the balsa wood. My mother came unglued when she saw the blade in my hand. Had to wrap it in something in order to continue cutting out the model. Did not know at the time that it was not a flying model. Just fell on the floor when tossed. Did not read very well at the time; so built stick models with two sides, and two tops, and did not know why I ran out of sticks, and could not understand where the formers were to go. Wiped all the excess glue on my pants which really lit a fire under my mother. Model building was always under attack while growing up. Even after making my career of repairing airline aircraft, she wondered why I was still playing with the dam things. Now I have a house full of planes which need to be moved into the new hobby room away from the flying vacuum cleaner my wife operates. At least she understands the skill, and craftsmanship that goes into building these operating models.

Cheers!!!

Richard