View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Bates 106

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

Thomas,
So far I was missing F-2 and F-12: I find it easier just to cut new pieces, myself.

============
Fuse:

The 1/4'' square balsa 'outline' was pinned/edge glued to the 'top view' plans.
Before gluing the formers F-1 through F-14 to the 'top view' plans, I folding the 'side view' plans at the center line and laid them on the 'top view' plans to insure accuracy. Most of the formers located on the 'side view' plans are back farther than indicated on the 'top view' plans. Since the 'side view' plans are more detailed, I transferred the former locations to the 'top view' plans and glued the formers to the 1/4'' square balsa 'outline'. The formers are also accurately cut to the plans so I this should give me a accurate profile of the fuse, without any 'waves' in the stringers between the formers.
I also used the center wing rib to insure F-6 and F-9 are properly spaced for the wing.
Having the formers back per the 'side view' also puts the wing back about a 1/2'' so it should help on less ballast needed for balancing the plane.
F-6A and F-9A are the end points of the wing so some 1/16'' thick balsa was used as spacers and tack glued to F-6 and F-9, which will make it easy to cut this section out after sheeting.
Only place I could find bulk straight pins and Bondo glazing putty was at 'walbox' so I stocked up.
I go through pins quickly as I throw them out when glue cakes on the sides.
With a few exceptions, my 'go to' glue is elmers carpenters glue (polyvinyl acetate): cheap and dries 'good enough' in 20 minutes to do 'light work on'.

pictures will be uploaded when the web site fixed their 'internal server error' messages.

Interesting.. i'm missing those, along with a few nacelle parts, some wing ribs and some horizontal stab ribs