RCU Forums - View Single Post - Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Forced to chime in... I like the rest of you was at first mostly concerned with my own interest, namely, thousands of dollars of RC equipment and a potential Government ban on using it in public. But, on further thought I realized there is a true potential for some neferious zealot to actually gain the knowledge to build and fly and arm an RC aircraft and fly it into some heavily crowded event and cause damage. This is the reality and with the FBI and all other Gov agencies working to prevent anything like this ever happening, I feel it is wholly our responsibility to help them with our extreme knowledge of the aircraft and their potential. The best way we can achieve this would be thru vigilence. When we witness something out of the ordinary, like someone flying wildcat in a field or parking lot, observe them or ask them what they are doing (friendly manner). If you have a newbie at your field who wants to learn to fly overnight and wants to fly the biggest plane around or ask about payloads or GPS drop a call to the FBI. The more we help police this thing the more apt they will be to help protect our hobby and the knowledge we posses about these flying wonders. I for one try to keep fully aware of my surroundings and have a suspicious nature anyways. Once while driving on a crowded slow moving freeway, I saw an rc plane flying erratically over the road, I pulled off and found the pilots in a parking lot and asked them what they were doing. Turned out to be a rookie and he couldnt land the thing. I offered to help and brought it down then had a long talk to him about flying so close to people and told him about our club. He never showed up there and perhaps nowadays I would have taken his License plates down.
Point is HEADS UP guys! ALso Educate the public at all opportunities.