RCU Forums - View Single Post - What comes after a Trainer?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2002, 08:45 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What comes after a Trainer?

Depending on the person's learning curve , you can teach people to fly on alot of different planes. I started flying with a Pheonix models Paragon sport trainer then about 3 weeks after i was on a 40size sukhoi with a .61 O.S . The plane is ridiculous to control.. The throws are insane (1 inch alieron travel with a 50inch double tapered wing)and it rolls probably 4 per second. I fly the plane inverted full throttle about 2 feet off the ground with full rates.That was my second plane and I still fly it now.. I have at least 200 flights on it, so it really depends on the person. I know guys that have been flying for 20 years that still find an extra300s very scary to fly. I let one of the members try my sukhoi the other day and this guy has been flying for years.. Let's just say he was sweating bullets after a few laps of the field it was just too snappy for him. There is another guy who has been flying for years also but he still can't fly a intermediate low wing. The guy can fly his trainer all day and never crash once but as soon as he takes up one of his low wings , within a few minutes it's scattered all over the field..

So it really depends on the person. I would suggest a stik or a sportster. They actually can be setup to fly very similar.. They are good to start low wing flying with.