RCU Forums - View Single Post - New pilot, need a suggestion.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 05:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: New pilot, need a suggestion.

Just a thought, but before you put your built plane in the air, pickup a BNF or RTF cheap electric to learn with, that way it will be easier to repair when you crash, and not so heartbreaking being one you built.  I did just that by getting an ultra micro T-28. and it is a blast to fly, just very small, so a parkflyer is a good choice too.   One of my planes I am learning with is an Apprentice 15E, and I had a good 10 lights until I crashed it, into a barn, DOH. I also have an Eflite T-34, which I was going to use as my first plane, until I got it put together and found it was too pretty a plane to beat up, so I got the Apprentice instead.  If I had flown the 34  into the barn it would be a scrap pile, the Apprentice though was easily repaired, although I need to replace the wing after all, it is too weak and flexes now.  

Now that I have somewhat OK flying skills and planes that can take a beating, I am going to build a P-51 Top Flight kit.  I am only suggesting this because flying is fun, but a Botch to learn, and can quickly discourage one from continuing when the plane hits the dirt the wrong way, and it will happen.  With a DX6i, you can fly just about any BNF plane out there from the Ultra Micros to the .60 size planes.  

This is the route I took, mainly because it was a quick way to get in the air, but also because all I need is a plane radio and a couple batteries with me to fly.  Now that I can take off and land, and recover when the plane goes wacky, I can move forward with building one with some power and noise.  Electric is nice and convenient, but nothing beats the sound of a fueled motor spinning a prop.