RCU Forums - View Single Post - OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL TRAXXAS RALLY VXL THREAD!!!!!

KBusch, I'm hoping you didnt over pay in getting the system at your LHS, when eBay has them for cheaper and brand new with castle warranty - if you did, don't worry. Chalk this one up as a lesson learned.

Now on to your real question: the castle system you purchased is a better system than your stock, but that depends on if you know how to set it up properly. Gearing and battery output is crucial, as I have had to learn valuable lessons in those departments... The castle set up gives you additional options for tuning with the castle link system such as throttle and motor brake curves along with punch control to name a few. You have to take into consideration the added weight of your system, the battery output and the gearing before you assume you wasted money on a castle system. The stock VXL system is actually a great system for the casual, no hassle rc driver. As long as you abide by the instructions from Traxxas, your rc will be plenty fast. If you must go faster, then you need to get smart with your castle software and start trying out gear combinations and some good lipos. There are a few on here that are very smart and knowledgeable of the castle systems. One thing I'd like to point out about the castle setup, you will notice cooler temps.

if you are trying to fincd a top speed forxf your benchmark I recommend a radar gun to clock your speed or you can do the old school trick of measuring out a set distance and have a stop watch handy. That method will give you feet traveled per second and the rest is just math.

Have fun experimenting.

Joe