RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire CARF-Models 2011 Build Thread. Started by Lazy Eight & WARBIRDRCER
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 AM
crashproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire CARF-Models 2011 Build Thread. Started by Lazy Eight & WARBIRDRCER

I have been flying four almost 5 years after many years involved in rather high end RC Racing. When I began I did the usual thing started with a trainer, Then a 4 Star 60. My heart as you indicate as well was with WW 2 Warbirds. Started with 60 sizes then moved up to 80 inchers then to the Top Flite line which is mid 80's. I now have moved up to the 100 inch kits and I have a few observations. First in regards to simply flying the larger you go the better they fly. I think in this regard the weight and mass work in your favor. The obvious glaring diff in my opinion is the taking off and landing of a large heavier Warbird. The use of rudder is a must in both of these, and the smaller Warbirds have some level of floatability that will no longer be there as you fly larger Warbirds. The emphasis becomes how well you set up and execute the take off and landings. If you get in trouble on TO and simply try to power your way up and out you risk tipstall. With smaller Wbirds this can many times be done. With giant Wbirds you must touch down and roll out properly because if not this is the point the extra weight will work against you. All this being said the path I took is the only one I can speak to and it worked for me. Wingspan in my mind is not an indication of moving up in ability when it comes to Warbirds, but weight is, in my mind this is where the diff. lies. Good luck, Kevin.