View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 03:36 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what 2.4 article

ORIGINAL: Dave

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH OBERST

Thank you sir! It's funny Dave, but after reading the article in Model Aviation and I quote, " One option for a 2.4 GHz RC user is to change operating frequency to the 72Mhz band."

That's fine and dandy if you are using a 72mhz radio with a 2.4 converter! Even then, you'ld have to rip out the 2.4 reciever and replace it with a 72mhz receiver and put in the TX and RX crystals to make it work. But what about all those who gave up their 72mhz radios for the straight 2.4 radio? I know the answer, they are S^%t out of luck!

This is what happens when the market refuses to give us choice and forces us to move to a new product that has issues. Talking about a monopoly! For those who remember, Spectrum and Futaba Fast both had a trade in deal when the 2.4 was first released. For those who traded in their 72 mhz for the new 2.4 for the additional discount? All I can say is bad move. Now if you see your radio acting up, you can't switch back to 72mhz unless you buy a used radio, or have a extra radio and reciever on hand.

But I'm one of those people who don't just run out and buy something just because it's new. I did it the smart way and when I started seeing and reading about the 2.4 having issues, I bought a few more 72mhz radios just to hold me over until the 2.4 is finally replaced. It's about time the AMA admits there's a problem! That's a good start and only the beginning I hope.

Someone wrote that eventually the 2.4 will be replaced like the 72mhz replaced 32mhz etc. That is very true, however I found a few places still selling the left over 72mhz and I know of many like me who refuse to operate on a 2.4 system and are still using the older equipment. The 2.4GHz however, will be replaced much sooner than it normally would if there was no issue with them to begin with. That's what I was told.

Someone wrote that Spectrum issues are now resolved? That's not a true statement. Both Futaba, Spectrum, Aurora, Airtronics and Hitec has been recorded to have had issues this year.

They are many issues with all of the 2.4 systems that we know about. How many have crashed because of the 2.4GHz that we don't know about? Slowly more and more are focusing on possible issues with their 2.4 radios. Matter in fact, while I write this another person just started a thread that he lawn darted his 50cc airplane in the Crash/Rebuild. He stated his 2.4 Aurora 9 blacked out and gave him nothing but headaches. Another $2,000 gone!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10780831

Of course we have people already trying to tell andizzle that everything else went wrong other than his radio. Let's give him credit- he may be new but he isn't stupid and knows that his 2.4 acted up.

A new technology introduced into the market automaticly makes the older technology it's replacing obsolete. To me that's a big misnomer.

Pete