RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind
Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind

Normally I don't apply any lubricant to servos as they come lubricated from the factory.

However dropping things in salt water changes everything.  I have done that with slope gliders.

1) Wash EVERYTHING in clear water and dry it completely.  If the servos were submerged I would open them up to be sure no water got in. If it did, wash it as everything else. A blow dryer on low is great to get water out of places you don't want it.

2) I then wash again in alcohol to help get the water out.  After it dries I again use a blow dryer on low.  Then I let it air dry for 2 days to be sure.

3) I have used electronics spray, intended for the purpose, to treat circuit boards, receivers and such AFTER things have dried.  If I open the servos I relube them with servo grease and put them back together.

Usually the servos, receiver and such are fine.  I have had batteries corrode despite my best efforts.

I have never dropped a motor in salt water but I would give it the same treatment as everything else.  Wash it, dry it, alcohol, dry and then air dry for days to be sure.   Then run it till it gets very warm and listen to it carefully to be sure there is no grit or other residue in the motor.

After you have done your best - put it all back together and fly.