RCU Forums - View Single Post - a10 maiden
Thread: a10 maiden
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a10 maiden

Yesterday was flight #2 and #3 on Scott K's SM A-10. After some scary moments on the maiden with sudden pitch-up, almost to a complete stall sliding down final, a little head scratching and review of many comments on the MIBO A-10 threads, I felt that to correct that quirky pitch change between idle and full throttle, i.e. a pitch down moment with full throttle, and pitch up moment with low throttle and idle, all that was necessary to correct was a throttle->down elevator mix from about 40% throttle to idle. The exact mix was initially a guess, but it came out right on. As you can see, there is no excessive nose down pitch leading to a jump-off type T/O and while landing, no more abrupt pitch up with reduction of power down final. That little balloon on final was due to a wind gust and a slight overcontrol, followed by the smoooooth touchdown.

Anton and Likai have really produced an excellent kit.....Scott, a skilled builder put the pieces together, and Dave Elsinger, our #1 test pilot, brought it back smoothly.

Thanks to club vieographer, Rich Behrend. for the HD video.....

Click on the A-10 video on the right margin after getting to Rich's website with the link below and watch in full screen 720 HD....

After lift-off, the entire flight except for a couple of mild chandelle pull-ups was at 1/2 throttle. Dave held 1/2 throttle with gear and full flaps which required no trim change on downwind and base and slowly retarded throttle to idle in the flare. Temp was about 52 F. P-80SE's were more than enough power as long as both are running..... Plane is about 65 Lbs dry. Stores, not yet installed will add another 8 lbs and drag. Scott might upgrade to P-140's or 120SX's for next season.

http://www.youtube.com/user/********.../0/L1Oy6gwHDkY