RCU Forums - View Single Post - COX VENOM .049/WHAT DID I BUY?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COX VENOM .049/WHAT DID I BUY?

Congrats on a great find!

Now a nit picky question about the Venom to those who frequent this forum:

Where did the number of "only 1000 made" come from regarding the Venom? Frankly, I think that someone made a guess, or pulled it out of their whatever, or was selling one and wanted to hype its rarity. There are some collector sites out there who repeat this "only 1000 made", but none cite a reliable or documentable source for this number. When something is repeated often enough, it is eventually regarded as fact. I have also seen quotes of "only 1000 made" bandied about in regards to the Cox 05 R/C, Cox 09 R/C, and the early and late versions of the RR-1. The ONLY number that I find credible for a low production Cox engine is for the Cox Medallion .051 Special FF (with a reported total of 258 made) and these engines were a sequentially numbered, single batch of engines custom made for the National Free Flight Society. From the number of Venom engines that I have personally seen - and knowing how widely Cox engines were retailed - I find it hard to believe that there were only a mere 1000 of them built.