RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gyro in Airplane ??
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyro in Airplane ??

Learn how to fly and you won't need a stinking gyro. Pilots who fly by the seat of their pants are better than those who depend on gadgets to help them fly. If people can't handle prop torque or crosswinds, then it's my suggestion they need more sim or trainer time.

I have not ever used one and won't. That's why I haven't crashed on a maiden yet and can handle every plane without any aid so far.

At my club we strongly suggest not using one, and try to teach people to fly so they themselves have full control of their aircraft at all times. I can't tell you how many times people forget they have the gyro on while flying and suddenly loose control because the rudder is trying to keep the plane upright and the pilot struggles to bank or turn.

I think the smart thing is if you can't handle the plane you're flying, then don't fly it until you know you can handle it safely. To me the gyro takes the fun out of true flying and to me it hinders important piloting skills. Like the man said, gyros are good for helicopters and that's where they belong.

Pete