RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gyro in Airplane ??
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gyro in Airplane ??

Oberst, you obviously do not understand how a gyro on a plane works. With the gyro in rate mode, you will see little if any effect from the gyro when you bank for a turn. In rate mode rolls will be a little more axial and other maneuvers smoother. If you bank a plane when in heading hold mode, the gyro does not try to keep the plane level, rather it makes it climb. Once in the air, a gyro in heading hold mode will fight you all the way while in rate mode it resists external forces on the plane but does not fight your commands. How do I know - because I have been experimenting with rudder gyros for the last year. My conclusion is that I like it for tail dragger takeoffs. I know from reading that those flying small foamies like gyros on ailerons because it makes the planes handle higher winds than it normally can. You should look into it. There is a lot of interesting things going on with people experimenting with gyros on planes. Also of note is that JR has just released their first gyro intended for airplanes.

Bruce