RCU Forums - View Single Post - seamaster engine mount from plans?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seamaster engine mount from plans?

Is or has anyone used the engine mount in the configuration that it is shown on the seamaster 40 plans? I will try and explain it real quick. The 4 bolts on the back of the engine are removed but keep the rear cover in place. Then a 1/16" aluminum plate that is drilled for the bolt pattern on the rear of the engine is placed against the rear engine cover. The bolts go back in and are tightened down. This aluminum plate is slightly larger than the rear of the engine so that holes can be drilled through it and it can be flush mounted on a flat plate of wood, which would be the engine pod mount.

This is how it is shown in the plans and I know that you can just bolt a nylon engine mount to the engine pod but this looks a bit lighter. I was just wondering if it has been done much and if the 4 bolts in the back of the engine are strong enough to hold onto the engine. Any comment or suggestions anyone?
Thanks.

Another question I will add to this one is about the water rudder. I am cutting out wood right now to build this seamaster and was wondering if I can just add a sub fin and extend the air rudder a little further down and use it for the rudder instead of adding the aluminum one the plans called for. I have seen it on some similar planes to the seamaster but not on a seamaster yet.