RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who makes the best F-16?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
bullmrkt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who makes the best F-16?

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

PA is without doubt the best flying mid size F16. I have had 3 throughout the years. I just sold my last one after flying it foe about 7 years. It is simple, easy to build, very light (21#) , and durable. Many times i would slow down, slowly add up elevator and increase power until I had full up elev and then fly it around with rudder only. Top end its about 160 (per PA recommendation). One can be framed up in about a week. Scale or sport gear both available. PA is great to work with. Parts and support are quick. Have had 7 PA jets throughout the years...more than any other manufacturer.....for a reason..his jets fly great and service is superior. Get one, you will love it. 2 Rafales, 3 F-16s, F-104,, F-15 (composite)
Thanks for clarifying that PA = Philips Avonds. When you say "top end its about 160" are you referring to the top speed should be limited to 160mph or engine size should be limited to 160N?

Of all of the models people have mentioned here, the Avonds seems to require the most construction, but you say its simple so that's encouraging. I don't have a dedicated work shop in my current house unfortunately, but I think I could temporarily convert an extra room for construction and have a buddy do the painting. My construction skills are intermediate I'd say.I haven't built anything in years, but I used to build very large high powered rockets (7.5" diameter, 17ft long for example) that flew 600+mph to 5-15,000ft, so I think I could figure this out?

The size of the Avonds F-16 is nice too, bigger than the 1:8 scale models, but about 12 inches shorter than the 1:6 scale models.

I'm figuring that the Avonds will be about $2k more than 1:8 scale such as the Skymaster, which seems like a pretty good deal, but $4k less than the Skymaster 1:6 scale. Here is a spreadsheet I made of a few models discussed here and the various costs. This is just an estimate, so things might be a little off: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc

Ian