RCU Forums - View Single Post - The new Tornado sport jet
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

BaldEagel: You have given me a lot of good info in the past... (including mounting my engine at 0 degrees thrust) but in this case, you're incorrect.

As the weight changes... the scales have to change. Yes, the CG is in front of the rear tires, so the weights at the tires will change as a ratio of the distance from the CG. Weighing a single leg will not give you a valid CG.

Also... for the guys who said it has the be the same weight as the Modellbau demo model are not right either. It has to be the same in every respect. Think about this... what if I used full sized, metal gear servos out in the tail, but then I used small lipo batteries, and they are, and I had the exact same overall weight. By logic, I have a lot more weight at the tail than they do. SO... to use the 1.5Lb reliably... you have to not only use ALL the same equipment they used... but it has to be located in the same place.

A second example would be if I used a straight rear landing gear leg, or a trailing link. Lets assume they are the same weight. But the rear tire will shift back 1/4" or more from the straight leg. Now... a tire moving back a little will not affect the CG much, (in reality, it will move the true CG back) BUT, the effect on the scale is that the front tire will become heavier.

Anyway... what I'm saying is, the responsible thing for Modellbau to do is to NOT give a nose wheel weight. By it self... it's a dangerous number.

****** EDIT ******

Here's an FAA wights and balance PDF

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...83-30_Ch04.pdf