RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help! De Havilland Sea Vernom - Tip stall
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help! De Havilland Sea Vernom - Tip stall

Hi Hans, Very nice aircraft. The previous threads offer good possible solutions. I wish to add another possiblity for you to investigate assuming that the Venom is being flown in a proper manner considering its weight etc.

I believe the Sea Venom has split main flaps similar to the Vampire, therefore I wish to share an experience I had with a customer who had a very similar situation as yours with one of my Vampires. His airframe was with-in the design limits all around so we had trouble figuring out what caused the wing to drop on the flair to landing as this is not typical to the Vampire. We looked at everything to no avail. Becuase the Vampire has 4 sizable split flaps, I asked the customer to do a pull test on each flap with the radio on and flaps fully extended to make sure that each independent flap servo was holding its load compared to each other.

This test revealed that one of the 4 flap servos was NOT holding to the same load as the others and was attempting to close under the simulated air load while the other 3 held equal. The effect of this condition was to induce a roll to the side with the bad servo when flaps were fully deployed. Once this was discovered, the faulty servo was replaced and and the wing drop vanished. This condition will be exagerated if not using digital servos on your flaps which have much greater holding power.

Also, while I'm confident that you have looked at the flap alignement to each other, if they are not properly aligned, they have the potential to yield the roll tendency as well. What may appear as an Aileron stall may be a condition generated by the flaps especially if the wing tends to to roll to the same side everytime. (assuming the wing is true)

Best of luck in your future flights and I hope this info may be of help to you.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54435.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1684727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28413.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1684728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30057.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.3 KB