RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM FW D-9
Thread: ESM FW D-9
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

ORIGINAL: ticketec

I used 0.005'' everygreen plastic, becuase my machine handles it fine, I have cut 0.010'' with it but it was a little more work for it, and i've run out!

It would be pretty hard to make good instrument bezels because they would need to be pretty thick to look convincing. and I don't know that most vinyl cutters would be able to handle the thickness required. Not saying it's not possible, but in my experiments it's easier to buy them and use the vinyl cutter to add details. As you can see in the pic's, I have added the luggauge compartment to the back of the cockpit and have painted it all up in the RLM66 and a lighten version to add some depth.

Building the cockpit into a model that's already finished add an element of difficulty as well. all the bits need to go in and out from the top, and there is a fiar bit less room to work with....

Thanks

dave
That is good to know. I have cut .008" sandblast mask with my cutter and it didn't like it too well because it has stepper motors instead of servo motors. I think .005" will do OK though. I need a better cutter but the one I want would set me back once nice airplane or two small ones.

Two questions:
1. Did you leave a small leg on it, a tiny piece of material to hold the part as it get becomes separated from the stock, or did you just let the parts drop off?
2. Did you use a 60° blades for the think material or the normal 45° blades.

For thickness you could just cut multiple pieces and stack them. It would take a little fidgeting to get them together but it could be done.
Man I love the idea of using a vinyl cutter to make cockpit parts!