RCU Forums - View Single Post - Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 AM
LonnieMcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes

This took place many years ago when I was just getting started. I had bought a trainer at the LHS took it home and stripped it down and fixed it back up. Well, while I was still in flight training, my instructor was bringing it in so we could refuel. As he was on final it went dead stick and he landed it off in a ditch. But when he did, it went between to small trees and ripped the wing in half, right down the middle. He told me that it was not a problem to fix. So I took the plane home, made a new spar and put the wing back together.

Not the funny part lol.

About a week later I went back out the field with repaired plane in hand. My current teacher was not at the field that day, but another great flyer was. So he said he would re-maiden the plane. Well take-off was ok. But once the plane was up, all hell broke loose. The plane was all over the place as he was trying to set the trim. At the field I use to fly at, there was a line of Pine's about 15 feet behind us. Needless to say, the plane went behind them and out of site. I was expecting the worse, but after about two minutes of him working the controls my plane comes flying out back over the field. The instructer was finally able to land the plane.

I am guessing that when I repaired the wing my table was not quite level, lol