RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many would want to build one?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How many would want to build one?

BiggerDano:

It's a typical delta: very good top end (depending on power chosen) and yet will slow down very well for landing.

I learned from flying my Arrows that the best landings are accomplished with a slightly nose down, power off approach, then lift the nose up high (25-35 degrees) when close to the ground (or water) to slow it for a gentle touchdown. The mechanical gear has been 100% reliable and because the mains retract and extend fore/aft, minor bending of the struts has no effect on the function.

With the 46 turning a 10x6 APC, it has an unlimited vertical. It tached at 15,000 RPM on the ground with a Macs muffler, so top end is
somewhere between 85 and 90mph, with at least 7 pounds of thrust. My notes show that RTF (dry) it weighed 6 pounds.

The roll rate is typical delta wing fast, and it will turn very tightly without stalling as long as the power is kept up.

I didn't put a rudder on this one, just nose wheel steering, but that would be very easy to do.

It does like to have some counter torque weighting in the right wing tip (I use .75 oz), or it exhibits a nasty left torque roll on lift off. Other than that, it doesn't seem to have any bad habits.