RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Hello guys I will be watching this thread closely as I have decided on my next plane, but still wondering what to do for an engine.  I have decided that I would like the TF P47 GS ARF, seems no one has anything bad to say about it, and I am a big fan of the P47, so it seems the natural choice.  For power of course I would love a radial, and since I found the Evo radials it seems that it may be possible, they seem to be very good value for your money. 

I posted in the P47 thread but it seems that there are not very many radial fans over there, and they all pretty much shot down the idea of putting a glow radial in the cowl.  They all pretty much shot down the idea, but I still can't shake the possibility.

My questions have pretty much been answered but I will run them by you guys again and see what you think.  As far as size it seems the 777 will fit best.  From what others have said the cowl is 10" diameter, and I think the larger 9cyl is 10", so I don't think it would fit with out modifying it.  Plus the price of the 777 is more in my range.

So as far as power is concerned, it seems you guys think it should be powerful enough.  Seems the TF P47 to come in at around 25lbs or so.  I like scale, but I also like a little extra power for those days that I just want to fly the wings off it!  You guys think it's got some extra power?

Also I am concerned with fuel consumption, large glow engines are certainly not very fuel efficient!  How are these engines?  Also I see you guys talking about methanol,  do they run more efficient on meth? (sounds like I am a drug dealer... hey you runnin meth... LOL).  I am guessing as well that with a lower oil content the mess is far better then running nitro?

These Evo/sidel engines seem pretty easy to run, this would be my first radial, and I have been running Saito engines, and various 2 strokes for many years, so I have a fair amount with singles, but this would be my first radial.

Last question is regarding mounting, the manual says not to use stand offs, but it seems some of you have used them.  I am guessing that these engines are much shorter then their single cylinder counter parts.  So I would need some kind of stand off/extension to push the engine out further for proper mounting.

So what do you guys think?