RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind
Old 12-13-2011, 07:06 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk about servos - Whatever is on your mind

It has taken me some time to learn that you do not need to go way over board on the servos. I used to use a standard servo when a micro would do.

I also always go over board on the Rx pack. I like the 5 cell 6v packs. Lets the servos work to their best.

I have given up on the plastic 9 gram servos. They just can not take the abuse they get in small foam planes. I have found the the EXI digital metal gear 9 gram servos work great. Plus they are $7.70 each. I use these when ever I need a 9 gram servo.

For standard sized servos I use the SG 5010's They are less then $5.00 each and work great. I have almost 40 in the fleet now. Two helicopters setup with them and a load of planes. I have 5 of them in a 60 sized trainer i put an electric motor in. The ESC has a 3 amp BEC and I have not had an issue with the power.

I flew the "OLD" Airtronics 94102 servos for a long time. They have been abused over and over. To save a buck or two I would order the BB conversions for them. The 94122 was the BB version and sold for $22.00. I could get the 94201 servo and a BB conversion for $15.00 a servo. So when I setup a plane with 5 or 6 servos, that was like 2 free servos .

I do like all of the good information in this thread. I may have to make an adapter for my watt meter and see what the servo draw under load.

Buzz.