RCU Forums - View Single Post - "A Modest Proposal" To Help With Structural Uncertainty...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RE:

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

I think everyone in this forum understands the intent and reason, but I wold have trouble supporting it even I thought they would adopted it. We already know what the issues are and have seen lots of pics here on RCU.

All of us have had the opportunity to read the build and other threads about the problems with individual models and imports in general. It hasn't stopped many from buying them anyway and living with the risk or making a lot of necessary mods. Maybe that is because we want a specific model that isn't built by someone else or doesn't look as nice, etc. Maybe it was the low price. But it nearly every case, it hasn't been for lack of knowledge. It was an ''informed decision'' if you took the time to read the RCU posts. Pictures of what we already know, as illustrated by your list of requirements, isn't likely to change either the quality or our decisions.

The most effective means of getting better quality is market principles....if you think it is inferior, don't buy it.

I think RCU is more effective in influencing purchase decisions. In the long run, I think more choices rather than 'controls' is the best way to influence manufacturing standards.

Ok...

My first question would be what about it would you not support if you thought they would adopt it? Of course we all see what's happening: Guys post their post-crash pics showing ridiculously inadequate design and shoddy construction; they decry the company because of their 'go kick rocks' attitude when asked to take responsibility for their QC; several people chime in with similar stories backed up with photos; then .....wait for it.....guys buy the same crap anyway. People like that are going to go for the shiny paint job (regardless of what's under the hood) anyway because they simply don't know any better and won't listen to other peoples' experience.

How can it NOT help keep them honest about what's hidden if it's not hidden anymore? Half of the post-mortem pics I've seen involve stuff that none of us whould fly had we known in advance how poorly designed or put together it was. I've built a few Chinese ARFs for people and stood there with mouth agape when I took a pen-light and looked into a wing. I'm talking CRAZY stuff like totally missing hinge blocks or a wing-skin that totally missed the glue bead on the ribs. The owner would NEVER have bought that if he'd been able to see that before the fact.