RCU Forums - View Single Post - FOFF build.
Thread: FOFF build.
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOFF build.

This however will be my first build with a nod to scale touches.

I had a wheely king that I enjoyed as stock for a while but soon got bored. I wanted to change it up a bit, so I got a crawler kit. Naturally the lengthened wheelbase had me trying on old Savage shells and various Madforce covers. I kind of came to the conclusion that I wanted to build a FOFF (Formula Off Road) vehicle out of it.

Teardown begins in ernest. We will only be needing the axles and center tranny for this build...

Performance is still very much the aim here. Servo has been lumped on to the axle and there is little heed given to 'anatomically' correct suspension. However, I plan on using a Gmade R1 tube chassis for now, then building my own custom tuber frame in the new year. I have always wanted to make one from scratch.

Motor will be clocked round to sit on top of the tranny, which will be layed down, bolted to the bottom of the Gmade chassis. Axles will be converted to 4-link using some new top link mounts to make mounting the links to the chassis easier.

The stance I will be shooting for, links just over level.

Wheels and tires I have ordered.

Gmade chassis, in case anyone has never seen one.

This build won't come out looking anything like the example above, so don't hold your breath. However I hope it will capture the spirit of the FOFF concept, and when I get round to brazing up a chassis in the new year I hope it will get pretty close to the 1:1.