RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods
Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

7kings, we are both lucky today. I maddened my jug and on the second time threw the pattern and just got her trimmed it was apparent that she was very sluggish and barley flying so on my approach down wind to land the motor started to scream and it appeared I lost the prop but instead the motor was failing. I was low and loosing altitude fast so I turned into the wind to land on the grass but I was to slow, too low and all out of air. She came in ok but a little hard, flipped over only breaking the Woden prop and bending the landing gear post, love those soft post! No damage and it could have been really bad. after inspection the motor was screwed up and not working correctly. I am new to electrics so not much to go on. It appears my motor was to big, underpowered ( only 6s) and not enough prop, and a defective motor on top of that! So back to the bench.

I have a 60size motor that I had on another plane so I mounted that and it looks like the right fit, higher KV (400 vs 250) then the other one and pulls a lot stronger. It has the same mounting pattern so no adjustment needed, just need another good day to fly.

As for the servos, they go bad from time to time. I have had really good high end servos fry in flight and some die on the ground like yours. I had one die today on my chippy, all was good on pre flight then on roll out to taxi as I did my last control check the ruder stopped responding, dead as a door nail. Just lucky it happened on the ground and not during a knife edge

TB