RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

A big nitro motor does sound good, I'll give ya that. Reminds of the big bore 2-stroke motocross bikes of the 70s.

The gas smell is a downer but I have a truck so I don't notice it. Drain the tank before you pack up to go home.

Flying a warbird off of a grass field means I get the occasional nose over if the wind picks the tail up just riight. With my old Saito 1.00 on there, I either have to go get the plane and bring it to the starter and glow driver or bring the starter and glow driver to the plane. With my DLE 20 powered P-51, I just walk out and flip it once and I'm off again.

I don't mess with extra switches or batteries as I power everything off on a single A123 battery using a diode between the battery and ignition optical kill to drop the voltage down a bit for the ignition module. With an opto-kill, a switch on the transmitter turns the ignition on/off.

The one drawback I do see with a DLE 20 (and even this isn't a biggie) and the size plane this engine needs to go in, is where to put the ignition box. My solution thus far has been to put the fuel tank back (usually half the size of a glow tank anyway) on the CG so that balance doesn't change as the fuel is consumed and put the ignition where the fuel tank would have been.

A properly tuned gasser won't dead stick on you either and you don't have the fuel delivery problems that nitros are finicky about. Gasser's have a pumper carb.

In the case of a DLE 20, an OS 1.20AX isn't lighter or more powerful.