RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 AM
dgholmes59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Ijust started flying last September, so my experience is limited.Ihave one gasser, Wild Hare Extra 260 30% with DLE55 andhave been flying it for approx. 6 months. I prefer the gasser when I wantto simplify my day of flying. Don'thave to take so much stuff, but it does take a lot more room to transport.My opinion on gassersis:

Pros
1. The larger size is much easier to see
2. Cost very little to fly on $3/gal. fuel vs. $20 for nitro
3. The amount of equipment to take to the field with you is much less. Almost as easy as electric
4. The larger size handles a wider range of airfields such as grass and grass with holes.
5. Flys a very long time on a tank of gas
6. Very easy to fly. This was a surprise to me. Larger does fly easier. I willnever forget my first flight and how easy it was.
7. No nitro (oil)mixed with dirt on my right pants leg.
8. NO CLEANUP!!!! Best part at the end of the day.
9. The reaction every kid has when they see the big plane!!! They absolutely love them. This is true for many adults as well.

Cons
1. The larger size makes it much more difficult to store and transport. It just barely fits diagonally in my truck. With 2 more electrics and 7 nitro planes, my garage does has no more room for another big gasser.
2. The gas smell on my hands. Hard to get off. Nitro washes off better.
3. Servos, engines, props, etc. expensive with the bigger size.
4. A lot more nervous when flying in the beginning due to the bigger size
5. Needs a larger airfield area
6. Really safer to operate with another person with you, so I prefer to fly with someone else. A little intimidating, cranking it by hand by yourself.
7. Takes large workstand and area to work on at home.