Thread: Nuance
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nuance

ORIGINAL: wattsup

Hi Steve, I've just got a couple of questions to ask about your Nuance. With the rudder servo arm/linkage modification you installed, how much rudder throw (degrees) did you end up with
With things set at 100% I get about +/- 20 deg travel. I can easily get it to +/- 30 by cranking up the rate. That should be fine.

I am going to try and get it done this weekend. I should be able to make it. Monday's weather looks good so I'll be shooting for that. All flying surfaces are hinged and all servos are fitted. I just have to final glue the pushrod ends tonight and then run some extensions. Then I'll balance it and find the spot for my rx gear and battery tray. Nothing much to take pics of at this point. I'll shoot some when I get the rx gear and battery tray installed.

As far as hinges go, I used aftermarket hinges (I like the Great Planes CA hinges). Things lined up very nicely and hinging was very simple. The ailerons were already hinged and they had 4 hinges installed but I was happy to see that they had actually cut 5 hinge slots so I used 5 hinges on each aileron.

I used MK style contol horns on the stabs and ailerons. I found the balsa wood in the control horn area on the Stabs to be hard and dense. The balsa on the aileron area was a bit softer and as I tightened the control horn screw I could tell it would crush. So I soaked it with CA and also inserted a dowel to help in preventing the crushing. The soft wood would be fine for the stock horns and I would probably install those if I were doing it all over again.