RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?
Old 12-23-2011, 05:43 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

First, let me address one thing. Glow engines do not require 9001 field items to operate! All you need is the plane, transmitter, fuel, and glow starter. Maybe a glove or something to use as a chicken stick if you're paranoid. That's it. A good, high quality, well maintained, well tuned glow engine will flip start every time, if it doesn't start within ten flips there's something wrong somewhere. I hear car guys whinging about the field gear too, usually when the glow VS brushless flame war rages, and I point it out to them, too. You don't need all that support gear. Stop overcomplicating something so simple, people!

Ahem, to my opinion on the debate. Glow all the way for me. Glow power got me into this hobby, after all. Back when I was 10 or so I was pretty heavily into trains. N-scale stuff, mostly. I went to a Hobbytown USA in Nashville to get my fix when I wasn't getting stuff off eBay. First time I walked in, however, I looked up at a 40-60 size trainer, and it was at that moment that I decided I wanted one of my own, that I wanted to fly. A few years later I finally graduated out of toy-grade RC with the purchase of a CEN MT2 monster truck, which was also glow power, and that just sealed the deal. Hearing that little thing run cemented me in the 'glow power or no power' camp. Now, I look around my room, and I still have that CEN, although by now it's worn out and no longer running. Next to that, an NTC3 with an OS 18CV-RX, and hanging on my wall is a ready to fly Hobbico NexSTAR with an OS 46AX on the nose. It's only taken...10 to 12 years, but I've gotten to where I wanted to be when I walked into that hobbytown all those years ago, and it makes me smile every time I look at that airplane. Probably gonna need a grinectomy when I finally get it down to the field and watch it fly...nevermind when I'm at the controls myself.

What I don't want is to get an enormous aircraft that costs more than my pickup truck, needs to be re-kitted before I can take it to the field, and sounds like a weed eater. I just want a reasonably sized plane I can stick in the bed of my truck fully assembled, start and run easily, and is not electric. I also demand that it sound nice, and none of the nice sounding gassers(Sorry DLE fans, but since I can't tell your airplane from my lawn equipment by ear alone, I'm not joining you) fit within my size requirements.

Bottom line: I want to fly, not charge batteries or assemble everything. Glow does that, in the .20-.60 range. I don't care about the oil slime, sometimes cantankerous carbs(My truck has one of those too, oddly enough), expensive fuel and whatever other 'cons' you care to throw at glow power. When it boils down, glow puts the biggest smile on my face of all, and as such, glow is what I will run.