RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight Extra 300, 78" WS
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Extra 300, 78

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

A couple more pics of the cowl treatment....I don't think one can cool a gassie enough. The baffle is 1/32'' balsa, glassed in place. Turned out to work much better than I thought it would. Easy installation

The header is the typical stainless steel variety one can get from the DA website. Had to buy the parts from Germany and assemble them for the lightest and snuggest fit around the cylinder. The RTC Header weight is about 15 grams heavier than a side aluminum header from Macs. Brazing knowledge is a must to work with stainless thin walled tubing
Ran the engine today.....quite impressive output on the pipe. 22x12 MDK Hybrid prop turning in the low 7s. Thrust to burn. Quite likely 3:1 ratio of thrust to weight. If the weather holds, I will try to get a maiden flight tomorrow. Need to run this thing to hopefully break it in before the snow flies

BTW- the DLE started right up using the stock DLE spark plug. I have the CM6 plug in my flight box, JIC. Oh yeah, the fuel is avgas, 50:1 gas to oil, Bel Ray MC1 racing oil
If you want faster break-in and better runing...install a Frank Bowman piston ring. Capt,n