RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

ORIGINAL: rangerfredbob

probably types fast, I know if I'm in a good rhythm I can hit around 70 words per minute...

there's pros and cons of any type of plane, I fly 40 size planes and understand your size constraints, you must have a 6' bed, probably compact, but to me 1 screw wing attachment (had a Nexstar) is NOT a lot of field assembly, maybe 1 minute tops! The most field assembly ANY of my planes have including 50cc gassers are 4 bolts, including 2 wing bolts and two canopy screws, 5 minutes tops. All I have to transport planes is a a Ford Explorer or Ranger so I know limits... If you haven't flown before, you might want to hold your reservations back, but like others have been saying, to each their own.

I like gas because I've made all of my engines out of yard equipment, I like knowing that I put the engine together and it actually works . I don't have a fortune to spend on this hobby, I have about $500 in my Ultra Stick Light 120 and somewhere around that or less in my 50cc Extra 330 (airframe was pre crashed so free...)
One thing that would change preferences on gas verses glow is if the blasted price of glow fuel would drop. I really enjoy my glow planes however I am often aggravated at the price of glow and I even get it discounted through our club. I do have gas and glow now and plan to gradually change out to mostly gas because of glow fuel costs. The smaller glow engines are economical but when you jump up to 90 and above it will break the bank flying those.

Two of my favorite planes are the Pulse XT 40 and the Twist 40 so really those would remain glow. I will most likely use 20cc to 50cc. I don't really care for the extremely large planes as they do take up much space and I like taking at least three planes to the field becuase I enjoy flying more than one type of plane during the day.

To each his own I suppose.