RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mini F-16 vintage project consideration
Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 PM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Mini F-16 vintage project consideration

ORIGINAL: think your ideas about keeping weight down in the engine dept. are dead right.
Thanks bro, I hope you are right. I did several other "nostalgic" aircraft and have not had the results I have hoped for. I hope this one is different.

Okay,
So I have purchased an NIB .090 and a box full of parts to an RK-709 fan.... My next step is to build the fan unit. and run it. I think I have pretty much committed to this step at this point and I will keep you posted here. I think a used .090 unit is next to fab up the fan unit and maybe even get the test stand running before I break the seal on a new engine is on order. A couple of questions.

There are no dimensions on the plans for the fan units How much clearance should I design between the fan and the shroud?

Should I use 1/32 or 1/64 plywood for the body of fan unit? (Ive looked at CF and it is too expensive and too heavy. Plywood seems to be the best answer so far...)

Looking ahead:

I've found a 3oz bladder tank used for pylon racing, I'll have to mount that remotely. Good or no? is 3oz enough?

Radio gear: I am thinking about one servo per aileron as in the larger birds I fly, what servo would be good?

I would love to add a rudder servo, worth the weight or no? I think not, but comments please (I am thinking nice axial rolls at the bottom of a split ess....) No throttle, no point in it at this point. Maybe I can mix in flaps if I use two servos....

BTW, happy new years guys!!!
RP