RCU Forums - View Single Post - FOFF build.
Thread: FOFF build.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FOFF build.

Bodyshell is just to show how big it is, roughly the same size as a 1/10th shortcourse. It will, of course, be run naked. It may sprout some alloy or carbon body panels but they will be purely functional to keep dirt and sand out of the more vital workings of the truck.

Right, this isn't going to look like much of an update, but I've pulled a 5 hour stint tonight getting some stuff sorted out on the Foff.

The shafts are in and linked up, along with the motor. This required a total strip to pull the hardened pinion drives out and grind them down to 5mm to fit the driveshafts. This was done with a vice and a flat file. :blink: So it put me back a bit.

Next I dry fitted everything, only to find that my pinion angle on the rear was too great, and was binding up the shafts. To add insult to injury, when I fitted the motor it meant that one of my rear link mounts was interfered with, so I had to make new rear links, again, and re-position them on the truck. Had to get a bit funky with them too, so they are now bent and mounted to the outside on the rear. Seems to work ok, not too much wierd suspension movement. This is probably the most complicated and tricky suspension I have worked on, never messed with 4 link before and it's probably consumed 20 hours just fiddling with it to get it working right.

Lastly, I pulled the shocks off and rebuilt them in droop setting, IE swapping the inner springs around so they all have around 6mm of compression and 25mm of rebound. This means the truck sits slammed on the ground, has about 5mm of uptravel so is better for hill climbing and still has around 50 degrees of articulation when it is required. I believe this is the best of all worlds and is really the only way to go with this truck.

Wheelbase sits at 13.2" now, and all up weight with electronics and battery mocked in is only 4.6 lbs so performance should be pretty dynamite on 3s. Tomorrow will be electronics fitting time and I may strip it and rebuild it to make sure everything is just so. I think it looks bad ***, so it will not change anymore now.