RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed Kazmirski's Taurus
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

Thanks to both of you guys. I will look it up. I hope to hear more on this subject. My dad started building a Taurus in 66 or 67. It had an OS MAX minitron reed radio! I remember 'test gliding' it by running a long and letting it get light in my hands and then gently thrusting it forward and level. It was an art in those days.
I watched the video of the 55 to 63 RC stuff. I had one of the bipes called a Custom Live Wire by Hal deBolt. Our first plane was a Sonic Cruizer by Hal. It had an OS FP35 with a butterfly exhaust suppression. It flew great with the old 'shoe polish' fuel. It had such hi nitro that it smelled like shoe polish! Great power but a short life!
When it was dead stick you could hear the reads humming through the doped silk! Watching the video brought back many memories. In Japan we did many hand launches because of small places to fly from. The Japanese guys would turn the low wing planes up side down and launch them like a high wing and then turn them over. They had the pro-po's. We couldn't afford them. The reeds we had were 168. bucks for a six channel. Each control had two channels so, if you had rudder, elevator and throttle, that was six. I flew, at first, what we called single channel. It was basically rudder and throttle. Power on and it would climb. Power down and it would settle. If you wanted to do a loop or barrel roll you go down wind, roll it over and let her rip. When you wanted to stop or saw that you were loosing momentim, you made a turn to keep it from porpusing. The one thing you really had to watch was your altitude when you rolled it over! It was interesting to say the least.
Thanks again guys.
bird.