RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie throws rod!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie throws rod!

Thanks for the reply yes, it does help.

To answer your questions: I did have the receiver and transmitter on when I started and checked the servo to ensure the throttle linkage was functional. I think it was the perfect storm in that I primed the engine (flooded it), released the fuel, primed/flooded/released quite a few times with the glow plug in but the starter out.

Then when I started (I only primed with two short pulls finger over exhaust) with the glow plug starter in (glow plug was"snug" but not too tight). I had the balls of my feet on the rear tires....but she took off once I started. The car was flying around my garage...ha!

After all this and with some research, Icheckedthe carb opening at idle, and it was 3/4 open. Not sure if something I did to adjust this, but that seemed to be the obvious reason based on what I've learned. I took it to the LHS and they confirmed for me.

Of course after that I could not pull the starter or turn the flywheel, which is when Itook apartthe engine and noticed the broken rod.

So from this I learned: ALWAYS pull the air filter and check the carb openingfor the servo'sidle/WOT/brake setting. Of course, because I cannot find a new con rod, I have yet to start it-but I'm learning nonetheless. Thanks!