RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
JonnyEm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

I wish I found this thread last year when I started mine! I have spent all weekend reading through the hundred plus pages of this thread and have suffered all ups and downs along the way. This was my first kit and I definetly jumped into building with both feet. The retractable/steerable tail wheel whooped me hard, butthe pull/pullseems to work well. I am worried about the set screw holding the rear wheel mount. I'm thinking of switching it to a longer one just to be safe.
My Mustang, AKA: Live Bait, is just about finished. I modeled it after last years Reserve Champion at Oshkosh. The owner of my old company bought the airplane several years ago and I was sent to pic it up in San Antonio. This fella had starting restoring it back in the 70's and never finished it. A buddy and I loaded the plane in pieces in two box vans and drove to Danville, IL where after another6 years it was finished. My old boss ended up selling it a year or two before it was finished. He's kicking himself now because she turned out beautiful.
Anyway, I need to the exhaust stacks, guns and gear doors.I have Century Jet Retracts and I am trying to figure the best way to attach the door to the strut.After reading throuh the thread I'm going to give it a shot, but we'll see. I have plenty to use. She'sready tofly, but I have to say I'm a bit nervous. It's not as nice as some of the others I have seen in this thread, the chrome monokote was hard on me. My next plane will be fiberglassed. They just look so much better.
Also, I noticed no one is using an OS 65 AX. Is it too small?
This is my first post, so if I figure out how to post pics I will.

Jonny