RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Yak?
Thread: Seagull Yak?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Sourkraut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

Well, she's all in one piece. I mounted the cowl about an hour ago after a bit of trial and error. It fits fine and looks good and all the stuff that heats up should get plenty of cooling.

Assembled everything and attempted to balance her at the factory CG ....7 to 8 CM back from the leading edge at the wing tip. OOOPS ! Waaaaaay nose heavy. Guess that little 20cc gasser is heavier than it looks. Haven't weighed it yet but, that's next.

I've searched this thread for CG advice and find that most folks are recommending 5.5 inches back from the leading edge at the root. I'll try that next but, wanted to look around a bit first to see if there is a consensus about the CG location.

I'm still hoping for first flight tomorrow but, I'm getting pretty tired. I've been working on this bird since about 11 AM. Ran the engine for a while and found that I'm getting 7700 RPM with a 16x8 Xoar prop and velocity stack installed. I removed the stack to make the cowl fit better and I discovered that it cost me 500 RPM. Lesson learned ....velocity stacks work well.

More later.

RJ

Definately balance it at 5.5" back from the leading edge next to the fuse.....mine balanced spot on with a Saito 180 (31oz) by simply positioning the RX battery to rear of the fuse under the canopy area. Not sure what your gasser wieghs, but it may take more than that to balance it correctly.