RCU Forums - View Single Post - TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM
spidernad
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

A guy contacted me on YouTube about raido setups for the TMMY Cessna so I posted on here for everyone. His quote is below.

Hi,
I 'm thinking about getting the same plane and was wondering if you could tell me what radio system you will be using. I have a Futaba 7C 2.4, but im worried that i will not have enough free channels. I guess that i could use a smart fly system if i needed. Any input you can provide in set-up would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm using a Futaba 10CAG radio. I bought it for use on my 50% Edge and for that it was fine since I had a SmartFly Power Expander EQ10 to handle the 16 servos on that plane.
I thought it was a pretty high end radio but it lacks a couple of things that I now need for the TMMY Cessna.
One of the things I was disapointed it doesn't have is a servo speed feature, something I didn't need in the Edge.

On this plane, I wanted to make the flaps move slowly up and down for realism. So I wound up getting two servo slowing devices.
I first tried the Turnigy brand but I don't think they are meant for digital servos. (see video here)
I then bought some EMS brand and they seem better, although not perfect, but they will do.
I don't think these devices were really designed with digital servos in mind.
There are a couple more brands out there but I'm not going to keep throwing money at it when they might all have the same issue with digital servos (chatter or noise)

I would like to have a Full Feature radio but can't afford a thousand dollars or more.
I was able to get the flaps set up to move with switches. Full up flaps, 10,20 and 30 Degrees (full down.)

My radio setup is as follows.
Channels:
1 - Left Aileron
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Right Flap
6 - Left Flap
7 - Right Aileron
8 - Choke
9 - Engine Kill
10 - Lights (these can be on a manual switch instead)

The ailerons and flaps could technically use one channel each, but if you want to adjust the servos individualy (sub trim, endpoints) then you can use a Power Expander.

So a seven channel Radio with a Power Expander could go something like this.
Channels:
1 - Ailerons
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Flaps
6 - Choke
7 - Engine Kill