RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rhino 4900
Thread: Rhino 4900
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
dando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rhino 4900

Hello, fellow pattern flyers and builders! Sorry to bring up the old thread, but I have a few quiestions for you.
As Hans Meij mentioned previously in this thread, a 10S 4900 mAh Rhino pack can be made by connecting in series either 2x5S 4900 mAh or 4S+6S 4900 mAh packs. However, Hobbyking has 5S packs of this capacity only with 20C rating, but stocks both 20C and 25C versions for 4S and 6S packs. Doing the math tells me that one could buy a 4S+6S 4900 mAh 25C combo for around 15$ and 25 grams less (total weight 1226 grams, according to HK) than 2x5S 4900 mAh 20C packs. The shipping weight is a bit higher, however.
I'll have to buy 3 or 4 10S batteries in the 4500 - 5000 mAh range for my Vanquish when it gets built so I'm looking for advice and opinions. I'm on a tighter budget and that's why I'm looking at HK's batteries.
Is the 4S+6S 25C combination worth it or 2x5S 20C is better? I've read that Rhinos are by far the longest-lasting from the cheaper batteries. Or are Turnigy Nano-techs the way to go? Which brand in the cheaper range would you recommend?
And which brand or particular battery would you recommend for Rx power? Maybe Turnigy Nano-techs would be better here. I'll be using a PowerBox DigiSwitch and am considering a single 2S lipo in the 400-600 mAh range (for 3-4 flights per Rx battery) to keep weight down. I noticed the 2S Rhino 610 mAh 20C weighs 35 grams, opposed to Turnigy nano-tech 460mah 2S 25C which weighs 33 grams.
Also, are the Polymax 5.5mm gold connectors better than the HXT 4mm gold connectors which come with the batteries? I'd most likely use the 5.5mm connectors between the motor and ESC and am wondering whether it would be better to use them betwenn the ESC and battery, too. For the battery-DigiSwitch connection I think I'd go with the 2mm gold connectors

And one last thing I forgot to add. I'm considering to get an iCharger 3010B for charging one or multiple 10S packs together in parallel. On another forum I got the following reply:
The more cells in series, the harder the balancing problem and the longer the charge cycle will take to complete. I would recommend charging as 5s2p rather than 10s1p.
How would you comment this? Are you charging your batteries as a 10S pack or parallel as 2x5S packs? I guess the second method has the disadvantage of frequent connection/disconnection and the fact that the packs can't be hard-wired, but if the balancing is better it could be beneficial for the batteries.

Thanks in advance!
Nickolay