RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Yak?
Thread: Seagull Yak?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

The continuing Yak saga ....

I worked all afternoon and into the evening on the engine in the Yak and finally got it to start and run. I can't explain what I did to make it do that but, Idid use an electric starter to get it going after fiddling with the needle valves ....starting from scratch. The starter saved wear and tear on my sore arm from the day before.
It starts by hand and runs fine now but, won't idle below 2200 rpm without dieing. When I drop the rpm down to around 2k it will idle very sweetly and then die without warning. Don't know what's up with that but, Ithink I need to pull the plug after it dies and see if it will give me a clue as to whether it's flooding or starving ...or neither.
I hand started with the cowling on and it ran just fine. Starts from dead cold are good after choking it 'til the carb is wet and it warms up easily. Transition is smooth but, I still have a bit of 4 stroking to eliminate as the engine breaks in a bit more.
Oh, almost forgot. I bought a velocity stack from TBMand installed that yesterday. Don't know if it helped the problem or not but, it does increase high end RPMsignificantly. RPM drops about 500 without the stack.
The winds were a bit high today for a first flight so, Istayed home and worked on another engine issue. I bought a new carb for my GPro 26cc engine and installed it today. It's mounted on my new Seagull Spacewalker II 120. The stock carb is junk but, the RCGF carb I ordered from BPHobbies fit perfectly and runs great. Itook this opportunity to rework the throttle linkage and servo and change the choke from servo to manual. I like this arrangement better and Ihave eliminated the weight of one servo.

.....and so it goes.

RJ