RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rhino 4900
Thread: Rhino 4900
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Rhino 4900

Nickolay,

If you have not purchased a 3010 yet consider the 208B. This is cheaper and Iuse it to charge my Rhino packs in parallel. The charge current for the Rhinos in parallel is 9.8 amps and they take just on the hour to fully charge. I use a 12 v leisure battery that will give 6 full charges. The lower voltage of the parallel pack is better handled by a single 12 V battery otherwise you might need 2 in seriies to provide 24/28 volts. Ihave read that charging at more than 1C, where it is permitted, has tended to shorten LiPo life. Iam sticking to charging at 1C for this reason. Remember that for 10S to be fully charged you need to reach 42 volts whereas you only need to reach 21 volts for the 5S parallel pack so I get away with a single 12 v battery input to my 208B charger. Of course, to parallel charge you must have the same number of cells and the same capacity in each pack - and you must start with both packs at the same nominal voltage and in balance. Parallel charging balances each pair of cells with the other pairs of cells so it is worth checking individual cell voltages after charging to ensure that you do not have a bad cell. Also, you cannot get a true reading of internal resistance with packs in parallel. Idisconnect the packs and then check each one separately at the end of the charge.

Bottom line, it is cheaper to charge in parallel (208B vs 3010 and 2 12 v batts versus 1 12 v batt) and takes the same time as charging in series if charged at the same rate