RCU Forums - View Single Post - Comp ARF Valiant
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
cartercg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF Valiant

Hi Volkert,

I did put wing adjusters on my Valiant (after some discusison with Bryan Herbest) and increased the incidence slightly from the factory default. This also got rid of a small amount of aileron trim as the factory set incidences were not absoutely identical. The Cg is on the centre of the wing tube. I have 2% down elev mix to low throttle. No rudder to elev mix. But I do have rudder to aileron mix. My Valiant rolls in the opposite direction to applied rudder. It hence needs more dihedral on the main wing. I replaced the main wing tube (the factory supplied one is heavy and more suitable as a self defence weapon) with a Graphtech one. The Graptech tube was slightly smaller so I build it up with cyno in various places to provide a little more dihedral on the wing. That did reduce the rudder aileron coupling a little, but I still needed mix. I was in contact with Bryan and tried different things, such as moving the CG right forward. Nothing solved the coupling. What I think I can put it down to is that the Valiant is a glow/electric plane. Bryan's applications are glow. In a glow setup the cylinder, tune pipe and fuel tank all sit below the wing line. In electric the battery and motor sit on the wing line. On KE the glow version will hence have more weight towards the landing gear, which counters the opposite aileron roll? That's my guess anyway.

I can confirm that with the right CG, wing incidence and elev trim that I can get hands free up and down lines (down lines do require 2% down elev mix) and can do KE loops with zero rudder to elev mix. If for electric it had more dihedral on the wing I expect that it would be a zero mix plane, or very close to it.

Regards
Clint